Friday, December 21, 2007

Neat words.

I would like to share are some of my favorite words: Some of these I found in books, I love an author who uses interesting words. This one was in one of Diana Gabaldon's books.

ab·squat·u·late (ab-scwoch-e-late)
1. a. To depart in a hurry; abscond
b. to die
2. to argue

Another fun word
fishwife
1. a woman who sells fish
2. A woman regarded as coarse and shrewishly abusive.
I used this word to DH (dear husband) the other day as in "I am not trying to be a fishwifey here" He looked at me strangely. I would love to know the source of this expression but it is not in the online dictionary.

wen
1. A harmless cyst, especially on the scalp or face, containing the fatty secretion of a sebaceous gland
The word is neat, but it sounds sort of like a zit to me. DH and I have been playing a word game called Bananagrams lately. It is fun despite the fact that I have lost every game thus far. Short words like this one are very useful.

ken: I like the Scots definitions for this one
1. To know (a person or thing).
2. To recognize.
It also means to know or understand, or as a noun, knowledge or understanding.

1 comment:

Kilian said...

If you like unusual words used by authors as if "everybody" knows what they mean, try Anthony Burgess. He has a vocab to put William Buckley to shame. He's not showing off, he just has a monstrous number of words at his fingertips.

A wen is much bigger than a zit or a mole and is not inflamed, just swollen.

Kilian in Tucson
A fellow Gabaldon fan